The ICLEI EcoLogistics Community is the first city network globally committed to a sustainable urban freight future. The Community leads sustainable urban freight development in participating cities and drive global actions in the international stage through collaborative exchange and action plans and stakeholder engagements. Cities benefit from being part of the Community through the shared knowledge and resources made available to the network, as well as opportunities to disseminate their successes.
Taoyuan City is the Chair and Host of the Community in 2020 and 2021. It aims to use the integration of technology, policies and planning as a vehicle for environmental, social, and economic sustainability in the urban freight sector. Taoyuan City is the national leading logistics hub, and its comprehensive logistics industry brings enormous prosperity to the city’s industrial and economic growth. However, this prosperity also comes with various environmental downsides, such as air pollution, noise pollution, congestion, waste pollution, road degradation, GHG emissions. Therefore, the city sees sustainable urban freight as an essential opportunity and leverages it to be a first-mover in Taiwan.
- Establish baseline of Taoyuan’s urban freight performance and GHG emissions
- Form and engage multi-stakeholder groups and develop meaningful actions and targets for short- and long-term implementation
- Improve the ecologistics system through practical implementation of innovative freight demonstration projects
- Support Taoyuan City in developing a long-term strategy to plan and implement sustainable urban logistics
- Develop working groups with international and local cities and partners to delve deeper into various topics on sustainable urban freight practices and case studies
- Disseminate Taoyuan’s experience and best practices through written documentation and knowledge sharing at international workshops and events
- Establish a working group with interested peer cities and partners to facilitate peer-to-peer exchange and contribute to plans and activities within the Community
- Gain an understanding of Taoyuan’s initial situation on urban freight by developing an EcoLogistics Index (ELI) performance measurement system for ecologistics in cities
- Form and engage multi-stakeholder groups to develop and implement goals and meaningful forms of actions for implementation
- Implement five demonstration project(s) on sustainable urban logistics
- Develop a Sustainable Urban Logistics Plans for Taoyuan
Taoyuan City has been an ICLEI Member since 2011, and has joined the Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy in 2017. The City has been actively participating in international dialogues in sustainable developments, such as recent ICLEI World Congress 2018, 2018 Suwon Forum on Asia Human City, 2019 Smart City Summit and Expo in Taipei, and ICLEI Resilience City 2019.
Taoyuan City is one of the most vibrant industrial and technological cities and the fifth populated city nationwide. Over 200 of the nation’s top 500 manufacturing companies choose Taoyuan to be the powerhouse which nationally has brought the City to the top of the industrial output among all cities for nine straight years.
Logistics industry has been the lifeblood of Taoyuan city not only because of its thriving manufacturing industry but also because of its international airport being the 11th busiest airport worldwide by international passenger traffic and the 8th busiest by international freight traffic, according to the Airports Council International 2018.